Nuco Steel Bar Technologies Brings State of the Art Technology to Market in 2017
New cold finished bar capacity is slated to come on line in 2017, Nuco Steel Bar Technologies will bring state of the art technology to the market producing rounds to 5.000” dia while flat bar sizes will range from 2.000” to 12.000”. Squares will also be produced. The business is founded by Michael Pitterich of Col-Fin Specialty Steel and Jim Sarwark, formerly of Nelson Steel & Wire. Target markets will be the service centers and they aim to displace cold finished bar imports which have risen the past year.
Final 2015-Q4 GDP Estimate 1.4 Percent
The third and “final” estimate of fourth quarter 2015 GDP came in at 1.4 percent according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis. This is a deplorable number for an administration which continues to tell us how wonderful things are. Just bullshit.
Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Texas Manufacturing Outlook Survey for March Indicates Expanded Activity
Texas factory activity expanded slightly in March according to business executives responding to the Survey. The production index rebounded to positive territory after two months of negative readings.
Chicago Business Barometer Increased in March
The Chicago Business Barometer increased 6.0 points in March led by sharp bounce backs in Production and Employment. Four of the five Barometer components increased in March, the most significant increase being the pickup in the Employment component.
Institute for Supply Management (ISM) March Report on Business Shows Manufacturing Expanded
It reports economic activity in the manufacturing sector expanded for the first time in the last six months while the overall economy grew (???) for the 82nd consecutive month.
The March PMI registered 51.8 percent, an increase of 2.3 percentage points from the February reading of 49.5 percent.
Bradley J. Holcomb, CPSM, CPSD, Chair of the ISM Manufacturing Business Survey Committee
U.S. Raw Steel Production Retreated Last Week
US raw steel production retreated 1.5 percent last week as mills operated at an ACUR of 70.6 percent. In the corresponding week last year mills operated at an ACUR of 68.3 percent. Thus far this year mills have produced approx. 23,000,000 tons at an ACUR of 70.3 percent, down from the approx. 23,895,000 tons produced in the like period last year, at an ACUR of 71.6 percent.
The week of March 20th US raw steel production inched up 0.4 percent as mills operated at an ACUR of 71.6 percent. In the corresponding week last year mills operated at an ACUR of 67.7 percent. On the year mills have produced approx. 21,500,000 tons at an ACUR of 70.3 percent, down from the approx. 22,300,000 tons produced in the like period last year at an ACUR of 72.1 percent.
Scrap prices have moved up
The mills have put price increases in place for re-bar, beams and other products. Grade extras from SBQ mills have risen marginally. Raw steel production has been rising and though capacity utilization is about 10% away from a good, healthy market, things have moved in the right direction.
Make America Great Again
Just a few things to keep an eye on. If a “Democrat” or a socialist wins the general election in November, I fear it will all be for naught. Speaking of politics, I just wish the remaining Republican candidates would cease the constant attacks on each other. We MUST beat Hillary Clinton and “MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN”…eating our own is counter-productive.
Sorry about not writing last week, I was laying in the warm sun with my adult children and four beautiful grandchildren…
Have a great weekend…. God bless America!
Buy American made products whenever you can, it’s good for you, good for your friends and neighbors and good for our country.
If you are hiring…try to hire a veteran…. they are loyal, disciplined, hardworking…and they deserve our support.
Remember these tidbits as the election cycle grinds on:
- Fast & Furious-Americans killed by guns supplied to the drug cartels…by the Department of Justice-Eric Holder presiding. The president was clueless. No one held accountable
- Benghazi: Four Americans killed in an assault described as the result of a viral video. This was proved to be a false narrative. This was in fact, a planned act of terror. The president was clueless. No one even knows where he was as this went down. No one held accountable
- “At this point, what difference does it make?” Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State
- The IRS targeting of conservative groups and individuals. No one held accountable, Lois Lerner is on paid vacation and has refused to testify. The president was clueless. No one held accountable
- Hillary using a private server for correspondence during her term as Secretary of State against the orders of the president. She thought “it would be more convenient…” Though the records were due when she left office, they were not submitted, subpoenas were issued, which she ignored for two years. Finally, she released 30,000 of some 60,000 alleged emails then she deleted the rest of the emails and will NOT turn over the server for investigation.